Tuesday 22 September 2009

PSYCHOLOGY/LIFE: Singing Boosts Happiness

I quoted a piece of research in my lastest article for SHE magazine ("Happiness is not a handbag", October edition, p87-88) about the positive impact of music and singing on mood and immunity, which I've started aplying more formally in my own life. As a youngster I sang in a school choir until I was 14 - and then opted for netball and hockey in my lunchtimes instead - but never gave up the love of singing and so it is I've started singing with Rock Choir on Thursday nights in Hertfordshire. My first session last week was absolutely brilliant. The leader, Abby, is the most warm, enthusiastic and welcoming lady and what makes the choir so brilliant is that you don't have to be able to sing to be part of it. I am totally enamoured and hope Rock Choir spreads throughout the UK and I can encourage all clients to give it a go if boosting their mental wellbeing, happiness or social life is on their agenda.

An American singing group, Senior Singers Chorale, have been of interest to an American psychiatrist, Gene Cohen, who found that compared with a control group of the same age, the singers visit their doctotrs less frequently, suffer less depression, use less medication and have more full social lives. So singing is a great health booster and tonic for ageing well. Let's hope Rock Choir continues as long as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment