Thursday 7 May 2009

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

I've been commissioned to write a feature for SHE magazine and it gave me the opportunity to drop a line to a rather groovily named Hungarian psychologist, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (pronounced Me-hi Cheek-sent-me-hi) asking for a quote. He's 'famous' for his contribution to the 'positive' branch of psychology and I read one of his books years ago - "Flow: The classic work on how to achieve happiness". To my amazement and delight he mailed straight back with a quote and I have to say, it was a thrill. Am I nerd of what?

I've just finished Kate Atkinson's latest novel, "When will there be good news" which was as much a page turner as her other two featuring Jackson Brodie. Not quite as gripping as Sophie Hannah's "The Point of Rescue" but close. Thoroughly recommend both. I read a feature by Sophie Hannah in a recent edition of SHE magazine (on feeling smothered by motherhood)and was compelled to write in commenting on how impressed I was by her honesty. Blooming marevllous it is to hear people say what they really think and feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment