Saturday 9 May 2009

Mystery Birthday Present

A truly munificent friend took me out for a mystery day of fun today (her birthday present to me). She's the most thoughtful, inspiring, interesting and interested person so needless to say it was top banana. Before the day had even begun it was a thrill to know I was being taken care of and entertained without having to do any of thinking, planning or prep. A wonderful and rare thing! (Admittedly I'd already prepared a packed lunch for children and husband to take to the zoo before I left the house).

She began by giving me an envelope contining postacrd clues to what we were going to get up to, the theme for the day being 'doing something different.' The highlight was a bibliotherapy session at The School of Life with Ella Berthoud (fabulous artist as well as knowing her books), although having a whole day in my friend's company was the most special aspect. We always have so much to say, so many ideas to exchange and discuss and we come away buoyed from being with the other. Having talked about shaping our worlds, lessening our tendency to be people pleasers and accepting rules I sneaked a brief lie-down on Sigmund Freud's couch which was clearly labelled DO NOT TOUCH and NO PHOTOGRAPHY(displayed in the Madness & Modernity: Mental Illness and the visual arts in Vienna 1900 exhibition at Wellcome Collection). Of course we took a picture. What would Sigmund say?

No comments:

Post a Comment