Friday 17 April 2009

DSD Weeks 3&4

Husband has declared he has too many other projects on the go to partake of this month's DSD (see January 2nd posting on 'Do Something Different' challenges), so it's just me focussing on community spirit for the next seven days. He makes a good point that with just two hours spare after the babies are in bed, you really have to spend it on what you want. Fair play to him. I think he'll be back on board next month though. At least I hope he is given the nature of the something different. Knowing that community was the theme for April I answered the plight of a local playgroup organiser who's about to hang up her keys and move out of the area with no one ready to take up the reins. I just couldn't bare to see it fold knowing from experience that it's much harder to get something going than keep it going. A bit like plate spinning I expect, ha ha ha.

I think I need a new word to decsribe my busyness though. 'Busy' just doesn't cut it. I have taken multi-tasking to a whole new level. I found myself folding just-laundered-washing whilst I was stationary at the traffic lights this lunchtime. I wonder if that's illegal? Am I mad? Paradoxically, I've morphed into some new uber chilled mummy this week as a way to improve number 1 child's typical toddler behaviour. And it's worked. I think that's why I've gone into hyperdrive when I'm not with him - I've got to catch up on everything that needs doing. He's been an absolute delight and I'm totally in love with him. Attention, interest and slowness seem to work wonders - thanks all the ladies on the NCT forum who shared their stories and tips with me. That's community spirit if ever I saw it. Anyway, back to DSDs. Week 3 was "Go Veggie" (in March) and that passed off easily and successfully. At least it did if you count fish as veggie? A friend told me my DSDs had inspired her and her husband to try a new recipe every week and that made me feel good. There's nothing like moving other people's minds.

Finally, Giles Coren (straight-talking food critic for The Times, chum of Gordon Ramsey I think) has been entertaining me on Radio 4's "Any Questions" this evening whilst I type (must nock this multi-tasking on the head). He's top of my fantasy dinner party guest list and the guy is an absolute scream. Check this out for a passionate rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment