Monday 2 February 2009

Kindness

We had friends for dinner at the weekend and were discussing the "Team Chivers" year of DSD challenges (Do Something Different). Having knocked the first one off (no spend for a week) we're fairly confident we can do the rest, although March's wartime rations is going to be a toughie. Or maybe not depending on how I'm doing at curbing the growth of my sweet tooth come sun down. So in a fortnight's time February's challenge is to focus on random acts of kindness for a week. This inspired our dinner pals to extend a hand of kindness to their elderly neighbours today (a difficult and pride-swallowing task given how much they've been costing them in planning application objections recently) and it makes me feel more than a little bit nice to know that I've rubbed off on someone in a positive way. And they rubbed off on me too in that I'm heeding their suggestion to re-read a favourite book (something I've never thought a particularly worthwhile thing to do) and we're going to incorporate their joint favourtite film into our November challenge. The book re-reading is interesting in that I will happily re-watch a favourite film or a CD but have always thought it odd to do it with a book. But as Kim pointed out, every time you read it you get soemthing new from it and the book becomes like a best friend. She reads Pride and Prejudice every year and I'm wondering what I might grow to have the same sort of affection for. Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca maybe? Right now though I have the final 30 pages of No Time for Goodbye, a slice of carrot cake and a silent house to savour.

No comments:

Post a Comment