Sunday 25 July 2010

LIFE: Grown-up Internships

Having a bit of a thing for anything Neal's Yard this month's Reg magazine caught my eye in Waitrose with its day moisturiser freebie stuck to the cover. Not expecting there to be much decent stuff in it this month (a journalist once told me when you see a freebie it's because the content is light this month) but deciding the cream was a bargain at £3.10 I bought it. Get home and find under Sam's editorial opener that in fact there's something very worthwhile happening in Red magazine this month: grown up internships. I know from my coaching work that many of us are still grappling with the question of what to do with our lives so in my opinion this is one inspired campaign/idea/project. I admit to getting a little preoccupied myself from time to time with what I want to do for the rest of my life but do we need to know? Does it matter? As Baz Luhrmann famously sang, some of the most interesting people he's ever met still didn't know what they wanted to do when they were forty. Or something like that. I'm all for planning with the caveat of keeping one's mind open to interesting opportunities that might crop up along the way but if the work you're currently doing feels good then why worry about what you'll be doing in ten years time say? I'm not saying don't plan but why get freaked out about it and wind yourself up in knots when that might htaint the journey or hinder the process of discovery anyway.

I've found coaching working mums especially that sometimes it's good enough to keep putting one working foot in front of the other until the kids are all in school then re-evaluate what we want to do for the next 5 years. I don't think I'll ever advocate anyone planning what to do for the rest of their lives, especially with all the advances in medicine and gene therapy. "The rest of my life" could be a very long time.

If you fancy trying out life as an MP or a month at Liberty (or time at Red, Coty or The Royal Opera House) have a look at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment